This exercise is meant to assist you to inhabit your body and the present moment, and it can be used as preparation for any other exercise you plan on doing. You can do this laying down, sitting, standing, walking, dancing, swimming… It does not matter, it will always work if you allow yourself to have fun with it.
- Take the time too feel your surroundings. You don’t have to close your eyes, but you can if that is more comfortable for you. Take a deep breath.
- Notice the temperature, the sounds in your room, outside, as far as possible.. As many sounds as you can hear. Listen, listen, listen.
- Notice the texture of the air and atmosphere around you. Feel it. Take a deep breath and feel the air flowing through your body.
- If you decided to keep your eyes open, look around, notice the details, cracks in the walls, wind in the leaves, texture of the fabric. Notice them like you’ve never seen them before, with interest and curiosity.
- Now shift your attention to your body. Notice the small itches, muscles shifting, maybe goose bumps, tingling in a certain area, feeling warm, wind on your skin, etc…
Whatever you are feeling in your body acknowledge it and give it your relaxed observing attention. You can shift around to make yourself more comfortable, or to just feel your body better. Take a deep breath and feel the air flowing through your body.
- If you decided to keep your eyes open, look at your hand. Notice all the small pores, palm lines, fingernail texture, the way your hand and fingers move, how it feels when you move them. Notice that you are the one moving them consciously. Take a deep breath and blow it gently into your palm to feel some more interesting sensations.
- Now shift your attention to your thoughts. If you feel your mind racing, notice that the energy is mostly in your head and let it flow down to the rest of your body, through the heart, down through the arms and legs, evening out the flow. Take a deep breath and feel the air flowing through your body, lighting up every cell, making them tingle with content for being noticed. Smile and take this feeling with you.